CHILI COOK OFF
Chili cooks “Light your Fires” and join us at iconic
Santa Anita Park on February 18, 2017,
for a chili competition unlike any other!
Benefiting the Foothill Unity Center
With the stunning San Gabriel Mountain range set as the backdrop and the thrill of thoroughbred horse races all afternoon, this one day International Chili Society (ICS) and non-ICS event will feature competitions in: Red Chili, Green Chili, Salsa, Open Non-ICS, People’s Choice, and Most Tasted. Thousands of dollars in prize money and trophies will be awarded to the winners and the chance to qualify* for the ICS World Championships.
*team count determines qualification. This event will be held rain or shine.
ICS Red Chili – $35* Entry
1st place – $500
2nd place – $300
3rd place – $150
*ICS Members, non-ICS members must join ICS prior to the competition ($60/yr). Entry Fee is waived with 2 gallons of PC chili donated.
Chili Verde- $25* Entry
1st place – $300
2nd place – $200
3rd place – $100
*ICS Members, non-ICS members must join ICS prior to the competition ($60/yr). Entry Fee is waived with 1 gallon of PC chili donated.
Salsa – $15* Entry
1st place – $100
2nd place – $50
*ICS Members, non-ICS members must join ICS prior to the competition ($60/yr). Entry Fee is waived with 1 gallon of PC chili or salsa donated.
Non-ICS Open – $25 Entry
1st place – $150
2nd place – $100
3rd Place – $50
This contest is open only to those NOT members of ICS, and is an open category (Red, Verde, Beans/No Beans, etc.). Entry Fee is waived with 2 gallons of PC chili donated.
People’s Choice (PC) – $0 Entry
NO FEE – FREE ENTRY!
1st place – $150
2nd place – $100
Most Tasted – $150
Tentative Event Timeline:
Please verify all times upon arrival.
Saturday February 18, 2017
|6:00 AM||Check-in/Booth Set Up|
|7:00 AM||PC Prep/Cook Begins|
|8:30 AM||Cooks Meeting|
|9:00 AM||Chili Verde Prep Begins|
|9:30 AM||Open Non-ICS Prep Begin|
|10:00 AM||Chili Verde Light Your Fires!|
|10:00 AM||Red Chili Prep Begins|
|10:30 AM||Open Non-ICS Light Your Fires!|
|10:30 AM||Gates Open to Public|
|11:00 AM||Red Chili Light Your Fires!|
|12:00 PM||People’s Choice Chili Serving Begins|
|12:15 PM||Salsa Judges Meeting|
|12:30 PM||Salsa Turn In|
|12:45 PM||Chili Verde Judges Meeting|
|1:00 PM||Chili Verde Turn In|
|1:15 PM||Open Non-ICS Judges Meeting|
|1:30 PM||Open Non-ICS Turn In|
|1:45 PM||Red Chili Judges Meeting|
|2:00 PM||Red Chili Turn In|
|4:00 PM||People’s Choice Chili Serving Ends|
|5:00 PM||Load Out|
|6:00 PM||Facility Clear|
Things to Note:
- Cooks will likely not have direct vehicle access to their cooking areas, as such we will have a small army of valets (with carts) available to assist in moving all team equipment and supplies to and from the loading area and cooking areas, BOTH during load in, AND load out.
- Teams wishing to pay by check can do so (until 2/1/17), by completing the above online application and indicating that you would like to pay by check. Once you complete and submit the form above, details of where to send your payment will be emailed to you. There is no paper application for this contest.
- In the event of wet weather, we have secured an alternate covered and semi-enclosed area that we will move this event to (but still on Santa Anita Park grounds), in this case pop up tents will not be allowed. We will brief cooks by email leading up to the event, on the specifics of this.
- ICS Trained Judges are encouraged to apply by using the contact link at the top of the screen and indicating “ICS Trained/Certified Judge” in your comments.
- We will be selling People’s Choice tickets prior to the event opening, so people will arrive hungry and armed with tasting tickets!
- Parts of this event are ICS Sanctioned event, as such the rules for this event can be found here.
- Due to Health Department requirements, PC chili must be cooked onsite.
- For the first 25 teams to enter we will provide a 10′ x 10′ pop up tent, one 8′ table and 2 chairs already in your space and setup for your use during the cook off – FREE OF CHARGE! No need to bring your own. No setup or tear down needed by the teams! Additional tables and chairs can be arranged, if requested at least 2 weeks IN ADVANCE.
General Admission to the Santa Anita Park Club House Apron, where the Chili Cook Off is being held is $10, this includes access to a majority of the majestic Grandstands. Discounted ticket packages can be obtained here, as we get closer to the event these will become available. Parking is $4 per car (except at Gate 6 which is free). Gates open to the public at 10:30am and first post is 12:30pm, for complete details on the racing action, please click here.